Monday, April 16, 2007

Getting Even

One of the most famous and least understood figures in the Bible has got to be Samson. Everybody learns as a child in Sunday school about the strongman whose strength was lost when his hair was cut, but who knocked down the temple when he recuperated.

But how many people actually ever go read Judges 14 & 15 to find out what Samson was really like. He was a nasty, dangerous man with an ego the size of Texas. He was the kind of guy who always got even. You didn't mess with Samson and live to tell about it.

There's something attractive in revenge. We really like to see the bad guys get nailed...so much so that we're happy to set things right ourselves if it looks like nobody else is going to do it. To prove this all you have to do is cut somebody off, or drive too slowly in the left lane on one of Houston's freeways!

One observation from the story of Samson (especially Judges 15) is that revenge is never done. It always escalates. I take revenge on someone who then feels justified in getting even with me, then I need to get them back, and so on.

So my questions... What is it in us that wants to get even? The Bible says we are created in the image of God. Is this a part of God's character? ..."It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord. - Rom 12:19 (NIV) (Of course, you need to read the first part of that verse as well where it says, "Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath,...)

So which is it to be...revenge or not...and more important why? The Sunday school answers "blessed are the meek," "love everybody," and "turn the other cheek" aren't really good enough to explain why we seem to be driven to make people pay for their wrongs. Does God turn the other cheek? Samson didn't, and he was a hero, right?

2 comments:

RIckT said...

An author once wrote, "Revenge is a dish best served cold". I find this both funny and true. Though Jesus tells us to turn the other cheek and Paul calls for us to let God get to have the vengeance, I feel that to some degree it does well for our psyche to get even. As a Christian my level of tolerance for retaliation has gotten better. No longer do I have to play "last hit" with my brother. I can let him win at that one. To twist Paul's command in my favor, why can't I be the vessel that God uses to get his vengeance. Now this being said, we don't have to be boastful as Samson. Killing thousands with a jawbone maybe a little over the top. I suggest something a little more subtle. An anonymous subscription to a gay/lesbian publication mailed to his/her office might help you sleep a little better at night. I wonder why Rob hasn't asked me to guest teach at Sunday school.

Susanne said...

I'm still thinking about this one, Rob!