Monday, April 2, 2007

Easter -- "The Passion"

This week's lesson is, of course, the Easter lesson and the first comment I encounter is that by now most people will have seen Mel Gibson's The Passion of The Christ. Except me. I'm not sure why, but the movie has never really appealed to me enough to make me either go to the theater or even rent the DVD. Maybe it's just because I tend to not be a fan of the brutally honest historical documentary style that I think Gibson has used.

I don't go to the movies to be scared, grossed out, or lectured. There's lots of that available for free in the real world. I go to the movies to see happy stories. Maybe that's why Seth and I disagree on The Ultimate Gift.

Anyway, on to the lesson... What if there had never been a resurrection?

Wow! What a question. It's at the core of who we should be as believers. The resurrection is the very thing that motivates and demands we BE different people.

I'll be back after some surfing...

4 comments:

FancyPants said...

It would seem that if there was never a resurrection, then we would have no belief. There would be no Christian faith.

There would be no New Testement, no changed lives, no Holy Spirit, no precedent of overcoming death and sin. No new man.

Of course, this is all assuming that God wouldn't offer salvation by a different means.....

Seth Ward said...

BUT YOU SEE!!!! That was exactly my point. I felt lectured when I went to see the ultimate gift...

Love the blog and look forward to the many pearls of wisdom that you will cast before fertile ears.

Why did I just sound like confucius.

FancyPants said...

ooh, to clarify...no Holy Spirit indwelling the earth and believers on earth. We believe the Holy Spirit is one with God, an infinitely existing nature of God, God himself. Just wanted to clarify.

This is such a great question! I've been thinking about it all day.

If there was no resurrection, then is it safe to say that the man Jesus could not have been God?

Susanne said...

I'm looking forward to reading your blog! I haven't seen "The Ultimate Gift" yet, but I read Seth's thoughts. Did you enjoy the movie?

I saw "The Passion of the Christ," and I was forever changed. I had to turn my head during at least one scene, but I was so moved by the whole experience. It's hard to say that I enjoyed it because of the suffering it depicts. What it did for me was caused me to see Jesus as 100% man as well as 100% God. I always grasped that he was fully God, but it was always hard to see him as also fully man. That movie made it easy to see him as someone's little boy...someone who shared in our humanity. Another reason I loved the movie was that it was in Aramaic and Latin. I had always yearned to hear God's word in the language Jesus spoke, and it was so interesting. I highly recommend seeing the movie (I have the DVD if you'd like to borrow it...I haven't been able to watch it again just yet, but I'm sure I will one day). There was one classic Mel Gibson "cheesy" scene (Jesus apparently invents the chair and Mary thinks it's a ridiculous invention). It wasn't enough to ruin the movie for me though. I think Mel was just trying to show how human Jesus was by showing him teasing his mom.