Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Deliverer

We've launched into a new series called "It's In The Name" that will take us through the names of Jesus. The first name we talked about was "Deliverer" and our discussion got me to thinking (of course). Most of what we talked about revolved around deliverance in a broad people-of-God kind of way. Being basically self-centered, I was thinking more personally about deliverance.

We talk a lot in the church about "getting saved," and I think most Christians have at least some idea what that means. We don't generally communicate it too well to the rest of the world, but after you've bounced around a bit in church you get a pretty good notion of what salvation is about. I wonder if we lose something in the process of getting comfortable with the idea. Of course, we're saved from sin. We say it so often using church-speak terminology that it loses its meaning and impact. (Here is a good example.) We get used to it like we get used to the heat in Texas. After a while it doesn't bother us as much. Sin, I mean. But sin is serious business and I need to be bothered by it a bit more than I am.

That's where Jesus the Deliverer comes in. Jesus delivers us from sin. Our sin. My sin. Me. That's really the bottom line I think. I need to be delivered from myself. When I'm left to do what I want to do I sin. It's in my nature to sin. (A church-speak phrase that means, "I do bad things because I want to.")

I need Jesus to deliver me, to retrieve me, to save me from myself. For me, that's what "Deliverer" means.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rob,
Great post, I was thinking about this very issue during our group discussion last week. In thinking about ways we've been "delivered", it's far too easy to forget about the most important one. (I don't think you're being self-centered, I would call it Jesus-centered!)

While I agree that we may lose something as we get too comfortable with the idea of being saved, I think the opposite may be true as well. For me, the process of maturing as a Christian has brought me a much better appreciation of His deliverance. When I was saved, I had no clue of just how hopelessly I was lost in sin. Sure, I recognized I needed salvation...But as I've learned more about the nature of God and the nature of man, I realize more and more just how wretched we humans are. And that makes me all the more grateful for His deliverance!

Super Churchlady said...

I really must INSIST that you write a new post this week. It's been a month! Your readers beg you.