Monday, May 19, 2008

Spending Money

Did you ever notice, that one of the fastest ways to end a conversation with someone you don't know well is to ask them:
  1. How much money did you make last year?
  2. How much money did you give to the church last year?
  3. So, what did you pay for this house anyway?
We're very touch and private about money stuff. We're fine talking about it in general, but not the specifics. Most of the time when we're like that it's because we're hiding something. Most of the time because we're ashamed of our behavior. So what is it about money that we're ashamed of?

I think we all have a standard that we're not living up to...
"I know I should give 10% to the church, but I've got so many bills to pay I just can't manage it right now."
"I know I shouldn't be eating out 12 meals a week, but it's just so much easier than shopping and cooking and washing dishes."
"I know I should be helping those less fortunate than me in _______, but I'm a little short this month."
I think maybe you get the picture. Can you really tell what my priorities are by looking at my bank records?

Would you be comfortable if the church posted the giving records of its members?

Why or why not?

3 comments:

Electric Monk said...

I wonder if money-privacy is a distinctly Western thing. You're right, though, it's definitely a taboo subject.

Susanne said...

Sorry it's been so long since I've posted to your blog! This is a very thought-provoking post. I think it would be very interesting, if not surprising, if churches posted giving records. But I don't think it would be a good idea for them to do so. If everyone knew what everyone else was giving, then many people would give for the wrong reasons. They would give more because it would make them look good...because it would bring attention to them and how much money they make (I was once a member of a mega-church where millionaires would occasionally be asked to speak in church about how much money they gave to the church...not exactly the widow and her mite!). And we're supposed to give joyfully, not begrudgingly. So although it would be a good tool for convicting those who are hoarding the Lord's money (and I think there are far too many people who are doing so), there would probably be more negative outcomes than positive. What do you think?

I have to say that since we began tithing, we've never had a time where we felt like we needed to take a break from it to make ends meet. You just have to realize that the first 10% (at least) of what you make is not your money but God's money, and then you have to adjust your budget accordingly. Many people make out their budget and then budget some money for God. But actually, the money was never ours to begin with. When you think of it as God's money, everything falls into place.

Rob said...

Good to hear from you Suzanne! You post almost as much to this blog as I do! :)

We actually talked about the church-posting-giving-records idea in class and came to much the same conclusion. It would be a bad idea, not because it would embarrass those who gave small amounts, but because it would puff up those who gave more. It would ultimately encourage us to give out of pride rather than "cheerfully." We are all too susceptible to having our egos inflated!

I agree completely with your comments on tithing. It seems to me that I can fit my budget and lifestyle around 90% about as easily as I could around 100%. I seem to pretty much spend/save what ever comes in. The secret is taking the tithe out first, not last!